June 28, 2011

Meeting people

Hello once again!

Well, I know I should have posted about this much earlier, but I don't know why I didn't do it.
Today you're going to learn how to greet people in English, so pay close attention. In the dialogue below, we have two people who meet in the school:







Kathy: Hello!
John: Hi!
Kathy: How are you?
John: I'm fine, thanks. How about you?
Kathy: I'm pretty good, thanks.
John: Please, have a seat.
Kathy: Oh, thanks.
John: What's your name?
Kathy: My name is Katherine, but call me Kathy.
John: Nice to meet you, Kathy. My name is John.
Kathy: Nice to meet you too, John.

Read this other dialogue:

Mark: Good evening!
Paul: Good eveing! How are you?
Mark: I'm very well, thanks. And you?
Paul: The same here.
Mark: How is your wife?
Paul: My wife is better now, thank you so much!
Mark: All right. I have to go now.
Paul: Take care!
Mark: Ok, see you tomorrow!
Paul: Bye-bye.

Here there are some phrases you can use when meeting people:
Good morning.
Good afternoon.
Good night.
Good evening.
How are you?
I'm fine, thank you/ thanks.
How have you been?
What's your name?
My name is ... .
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
What are their names?
Can you spell your name, please?
Of course.
Sure.
How old are you?
I'm 15,16...
Would you like to ... ?
Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too!
It was nice to speak to you!
See you tomorrow.
Have a good day.
See you soon.
See you later.
Bye.
Bye-bye.
Goodbye.
See you!

Now you know how to meet people (as if you didnt' know).

See you!

No comments:

Like us on Facebook