July 04, 2011

Use of "That"

What's up?

Do you know how to use the word "That" in a sentence? Do you get confused when you use this word? So today I'm going to help you with it. Pay close attention.

The word "That" can be used as a Relative Pronoun. For example, when we are talking about something,  we say:
"Look at that!", "What's that?", "That was an amazing trip!", "Where is that CD?"
In these sentences, the word "That" is essential because it is a Relative Pronoun.


We don't use "That" after a verb of attribuition (said, stated, announced, disclosed). The word "That" can be omitted with no loss of meaning.
"He said that he saw a big monster!" - No need for "That", better to ommit it.
"He said he saw a big moster!"


When, in a sentence, there is a pronoun and a verb, and next to it, there is another pronoun and another verb, we drop the word "That":
"I know that you are somewhere out there." - Pronoun, verb, pronoun, verb
"I know you are somewhere out there."
"I know you like me."


In some cases, the word "That" can be repeated:
"Did you know that that  man is my husband?"
In these cases, we also have a pronoun, a verb, a pronoun and a verb. We can drop the first "That" in this sentence. Some people use this "That" because of good writing.
"Did you know that man is my husband?"


Now, here's a sentence for you to say if it is right or not:


"Did you know that that "that" that that "That" wrote is wrong?"
Well, you might think I'm crazy, but I'm not.
I created this phrase thinking of a world where people's name is "That". And one person wrote the word "that" in a wrong way. Then I asked: "Did you know that that "that" that that "That" wrote is wrong?" Ok, I know it was no fun...


I hope you got it.


See you!
____________________

What's up?

Você sabe como usar a palavra "That" numa frase? Você se confunde quando usa essa palavra? Então hoje eu vou te ajudar com ela. Preste atenção: 
"Eu me amo, e isso é tudo que importa."

A palavra "That" pode ser usada como um Pronome Relativo. Por exemplo, quando falamos sobre alguma coisa, dizemos: 
"Look at that!" ("Olhe aquilo!"), "What's that?" ("O que é aquilo?"), "That was an amazing trip!" ("Aquela foi uma viagem incrível!"), "Where is that CD?" ("Onde está aquele CD?")
Nessas frases, a palavra "That" é essencial pois é um Pronome Relativo.

Não usamos "That" depois de um verbo de atribuição (said, stated, announced, disclosed). A palavra "That" pode ser omitida sem perda de sentido. 
"He said that he saw a big monster!"
("Ele disse que viu um grande monstro!") - Não precisa-se do "That", melhor omití-lo.
"He said he saw a big moster!"

Quando, numa frase, existe um pronome e um verbo, e próximo a ele, existe outro pronome e outro verbo, podemos largar a palavra "That":
"I know that you are somewhere out there." - Pronomeverbopronomeverbo
("Eu sei que você está em algum lugar aí fora.")

"I know you are somewhere out there."
"I know you like me."

Em casos a palavra "That" pode ser repetida:
"Did you know that that  man is my husband?" ("Você sabia que aquele homem é meu marido?")
Nesse exemplo, o "That" também poderia ser omitida pois existe um pronome, um verbo, outro pronome e outro verbo, mas algumas pessoas preferem mantê-lo por uma boa escrita.
"Did you know that man is my husband?"

Agora, aqui tem uma frase para você dizer se está certa ou errada:
"Did you know that that "that" that that "That" wrote is wrong?"
Bem, eu criei essa frase pensando em mundo onde as pessoas se chamavam "That", e uma dessas pessoas escreveu a palavra "that" errado. Então alguém perguntou: "Did you know that that "that" that that "That" wrote is wrong?" ("Você sabia que aquele "that" que aquele "That" escreveu está errado?").
Ok, eu sei não foi engraçado...

Espero que tenham entendido...

See you!

No comments:

Like us on Facebook