September 24, 2010

Prepositions and their uses - II

What's up?


As I said in the previous post, today we're going to learn some prepostions of place...
Pay close attention to it and you'll understand what you read:


Referring to PLACE:

IN - Has the meaning of "inside", for example, inside a box.
Ex.: I'm in the kitchen.
I'm in the bus to Sao Paulo.

AT - Means "next to", "near to". Used to talk about places that you go to do typical things. Also used for events.
Ex.: I'm at the door waiting for you.
We used to watch movies at the cinema.

ON - Means "above" something, "touching something on the surface. Used for "left" and "right", for a floor of the house, for "TV", "radio"...
Ex.: I watched it on TV.
I was on the bus when I saw birds flying through the window.

BY/ NEXT TO/ BESIDE -
Ex.: Janny was standing by my side/ standing next to me/ standing beside me.
They are next to the haunted big house!

UNDER - There is something below.
Ex.: This country is under a big cloud of snow.
They married under the sea.

BELOW -
Ex.: Answer the questions below.
The fish are below the surface.

OVER - Means "more than", "across something".
Ex.: I am over than 16 years of age.
We were walking over the bridge.

ABOVE - Something that is on top, but don't touches us.
Ex.: God is above us.
The sky is above our heads.
(If I wrote "On", the sky would be touching our heads.)

ACROSS - Get to the other side.
Ex.: Walk across the bridge.
Swim across the lake.

THROUGH - Go to the other side, in a closed place.
Ex.: Drive through the tunnel.
Look through the mirror.

TO - When we go, we go To some place.
Ex.: I always go to bed at 11 o'clock.
I go to school by car.

INTO  - Get in the house or school. You also can use "To".
Ex.: Go into the kitchen and wash dishes.
I want to go into my house.

TOWARDS - Go directly to something.
Ex.: Go 5 steps towards the house.
He went towards the lake...

ONTO - Go to the top.
Ex.: Jump onto the car.
Go onto the mountain.

FROM - Used to say that there is a place where things come out from...
Ex.: There's a flower from the garden.
I am from the United States.


Exercises:
1. Complete the exercise with the correct preposition. More than one preposition may be correct:
a) I am waiting for you _____ the bedroom.
b) I'm ____ Japan.
c) I'm going _____ your house.
d) Go 111 steps _____ the desert and find the treasure.
d) The drinks are _____ the table.
e) _____ the picture, there are many people.


2. Complete: "When I go to a place, but not directly to it, I use the preposition _____.".


Next class, we'll see other important prepositions.


See you!

____________________


What's up?

Como disse na aula passada, hoje iremos aprender as preposições de lugar...
Concentre-se para entender o que lerá:

Referring to PLACE:

IN (em) - Usado com o sentido de "dentro" de algum lugar.
Ex.: I'm in the kitchen.
I'm in the bus to Sao Paulo.

AT (em) - Usado com o sentido de "próximo à" ou "perto de". Usado para falar de lugares que você vai para fazer coisas tipicas. Usado para eventos também.
Ex.: I'm at the door waiting for you.
We used to watch movies at the cinema.

ON (em) - Usado para transportes públicos. Tem o sentido de "sobre". Para "left (esquerda)" e "right (direita)", para um andar numa casa, para "TV", "radio"...
Ex.: I watched it on TV.
I was on the bus when I saw birds flying through the window.

BY/ NEXT TO/ BESIDE (próximo de, ao lado) - Ao lado de alguém ou alguma coisa.
Ex.: Janny was standing by my side/ standing next to me/ standing beside me.
They are next to the haunted big house!

UNDER (abaixo, sob) - O que está abaixo de algo.
Ex.: This country is under a big cloud of snow.
They married under the sea.

BELOW (abaixo) - O que está abaixo de algo.
Ex.: Answer the questions below.
The fish are below the surface.

OVER (mais que)  - Usado para coisas abrangidas em outras; tem o sentido de "mais que". Tem também o sentido de "sobre" ou "algo longo de".
Ex.: I am over than 16 years of age.
We were walking over the bridge.

ABOVE (acima, sobre [mas não toca]) - Acima de alguma coisa, algo que está acima.
Ex.: God is above us.
The sky is above our heads.
(Perceba que se eu colocasse "On", ficaria "O céu está em nossas cabeças.")

ACROSS (atravessar) - Chegar ao outro lado.
Ex.: Walk across the bridge (Atravesse a ponte [andando]).
Swim across the lake.

THROUGH (através, além) - Passar para o outro "lado", a partir de um lugar "fechado".
Ex.: Drive through the tunnel.
Look through the mirror.

TO (para) - Quando vamos para algum lugar ou para alguma coisa.
Ex.: I always go to bed at 11 o'clock.
I go to school by car.

INTO (ir para dentro) - Entrar em algum lugar. Pode-se usar "To", também.
Ex.: Go into the kitchen and wash dishes.
I want to go into my house.

TOWARDS (em direção à) - Movimento que vai na direção de alguma coisa, mas não diretamente para essa coisa.
Ex.: Go 5 steps towards the house.
He went towards the lake...

ONTO (ir para cima) - Movimento para cima de alguma coisa.
Ex.: Jump onto the car.
Go onto the mountain.

FROM (de, que vem de, pertencente à) - Usado para dizermos que alguma coisa vem de tal lugar, ou que vem a partir de algum lugar...
Ex.: There's a flower from the garden.
I am from the United States.


Exercises:


1. Complete the exercise with the correct preposition. More than one preposition may be correct:
a) I am waiting for you _____ the bedroom.
b) I'm ____ Japan.
c) I'm going _____ your house.
d) Go 111 steps _____ the desert and find the treasure.
d) The drinks are _____ the table.
e) _____ the picture, there are many people.


2. Complete: "When I go to a place, but not directly to it, I use the preposition _____.".


Next class, veremos outras preposições importantes.


See you!

No comments:

Like us on Facebook