September 26, 2010

The Simple Present - Part I

Hi!

As I said in the previous post, today we're going to learn the Present Tense, or the Simple Present. The first part we're going to learn is the Affirmative.
Ok, the Simple Present is a tense that indicates an action that happens all the time or with a certain frequency.

Here you have some examples: 
Humans communicate in different ways.
My computer needs maintenance regularly.

Did you see? The main verb is in the Present.
In general, the Simple Present form coincides with the base form of a verb in English.

I have no time for doing this.
Americans influence the whole world.

Take for example the verb "To Play".
When there is a "To" in front of a verb, it means that it hasn't been conjugated yet.
It's the same as "JogAR", "CorrER" or "CaIR" in Portuguese.
When there is no "To" the verb is in its infinitive form.

Observe:
Verb To Think:
I think in English most of the time.

Verb To Need:
I need water!


There are some rules you have to follow to conjugate verbs in English. Here they are:

For "I", "You", "We" and "They" the verb stays the way it is, but without "To" in front of it:

To Love:
I love you.
You love me.
We love you.
They love me.

To Speak:
I speak English.
You speak German.
We speak French.
They speak Italian.


For "He", "She" and "It" we have to add -s, -es or -ies to the verb. See how to do that:
--> For verbs ending with "ch", "sh", "z", "s" and "o", we have to add -es to the verb:

To Go:
He goes to school every day.
She goes to her office by car.
It goes to the garden every morning.

To Wish:
He wishes to be a beautiful man.
She wishes a rich husband.
It wishes a bone.

--> For verbs ending with a consonant and Y, we have to take the "Y" out and add -ies:

To Cry:
He cries a lot.
She cries for me.
It cries of fear.

To Fly:
He flies like Batman.
She flies with a parachute.
It flies like an eagle.

--> For other verbs, just add -s:

To Change:
He changes his sunglasses every year.
She changes her clothes.
It changes our minds.

To Say:
Ha says my name very well.
She says I am beautiful.
It says "meow meow"...

We can use some adverbs of frequency to say how often something happens:
Always
Often
Usually
Sometimes
Hardly Ever
Seldon
Rarely
Never
Once [a week, a month, a year]
Twice [a day]
Three times [...]

Examples:
Samuel always goes to school by bus.
I usually drink water.
They do it three times a day.


To be short:
For "I", "You", "We" and "They", the verb is the same but without the "To":
To Do:
I do my homework every day.

For "He", "She" and "It" we add -s, -es or -ies:
To Play:
He usually pays video games.


I hope you got it.
If you have any question, send me a message.
Always use a good dictionary.

See you!
____________________
Hi!

Como disse na aula passada, hoje iremos aprender o tempo verbal do Presente, o Simple Present ou Presente Simples. A primeira parte que aprenderemos é a Afirmativa.
Bom, o Simple Present é um tempo verbal que indica uma ação que acontece a todo o tempo ou com uma certa frequência.

Observe as frases:
Humans communicate in different ways.
My computer needs maintenance regularly.

Perceberam que o verbo principal está no Presente?
Em geral, a forma do Simple Present coincide com a forma infinitiva ou forma base em inglês.

I have no time for doing this.
Americans influence the whole world.

Veja como exemplo o verbo "To Play". Quando, antes dele haver um "To", significa que ele não foi conjugado ainda. Seria o nosso "JogAR", "CorrER" ou "CaIR", em português.
Quando tiramos o "To", o verbo fica no infinitivo.


Observe:
Verbo To Think (Pensar):
I think in English most of the time.

Verbo To Need (Precisar):
I need water!


Para conjugar os verbos em inglês, basta que sigamos as regras abaixo:

Para os Pronomes Pessoais "I" (Eu), "You" (Você, vocês), "We" (Nós) e "They" (Eles), o verbo fica do jeito que é, mas sem o "To" na frente:

To Love (Amar):
I love you.
You love me.
We love you.
They love me.

To Speak (Falar):
I speak English.
You speak German.
We speak French.
They speak Italian.


Para os Pronomes Pessoais "He" (Ele), "She" (Ela) e "It" (Ele ou ela para coisas e animais), devemos acrescentar um -s, -es ou -ies aos verbos. Veja como o fazer:
-> Para verbos terminados em "ch", "sh", "z", "s" e "o", devemos acrescentar -es ao verbo:

To Go (Ir):
He goes to school every day.
She goes to her office.
It goes to the garden every morning.

To Wish (Desejar):
He wishes to be a beautiful man.
She wishes a rich husband.
It wishes a bone.

-> Para verbos terminados em Consoante e "Y", devemos retirar o "Y" e acescentar -ies:

To Cry (Chorar):
He cries a lot.
She cries for me.
It cries of fear.

To Fly (Voar):
He flies like Batman.
She flies with a parachutes.
It flies like a eagle.

-> Para os demais verbos, acrescentar apenas -s:

To Change (Mudar):
He changes his sunglesses every year.
She changes her clothes.
It changes our minds.

To Say (Dizer):
He says my name very well.
She says I am beautiful.
It says "meow meow".

Podemos usar advérbios de frequência para dizer com que frequência tal coisa acontece:
Always (Sempre)
Often (Frequentemente)
Usually (Normalmente)
Sometimes (Às vezes)
Hardly ever (Raramente)
Seldon (Raramente)
Rarely (Raramente)
Never (Nunca)
Once [a week, a year, a month...] (Uma vez [por semana, por ano, or mês])
Twice [a day...] (Duas vezes [por dia...])
Three times [...] (Três vezes [...])

Exemplos:
Samuel always goes to school by bus.
I usually drink water.
They do it three times a day.


Resumindo:
Para os Pronomes "I", "You", "We" e "They", o verbo é o mesmo, apenas retiramos o To:
To Do:
I do my homework every day.

Para os Pronomes "He", "She" e "It", acrescentamos -s, -es ou -ies:
To Play:
He usually plays video game.


Espero que tenham entendido.
Para qualquer dúvida, envie-me uma mensagem.
Use sempre um dicionário.

See you!

1 comment:

Like us on Facebook