May 13, 2011

Superstitions

Hi everybody!

I couldn't have chosen a better day to post about superstitions! Today it's a Friday the 13th!
Do you have any superstition? Well, I don't, but today, I was in my school and had to go to the bathroom. I walked across the corridor and looked at the mirror, near the stairs, but, to my surprise, there was no mirror! It was broken and scattered around the floor (it wasn't me who broke it, it was already broken)! Then I got to the bathroom and did what I had to do... That was a bit scary... But I have no superstitions, as I said. I thought about that for a long time... if it was coincidence or something else...
In this post I will talk about the Friday the 13th. Soon I'll post about other superstitions.


Why was the Friday the 13th chosen as a day of bad luck?
Some people think that Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit in a Friday, and that the Flood mentioned on Bible would have started on a Friday. In the Supper, there were 13 people, Jesus and his 12 disciples, and Judas was the 13th man there, and he was the traitor. Some people believe that we must never sit with 13 people on the same table. The Friday received this name in honor of Frigg, the Norse goddess of sex and love. This strong female figure, according to historians, represented a threat to Christianity, which was dominated by men. To fight her influence, the Christian Chruch characterized her as a witch, slandering the day in which they honored her. It was said that Frigg joined a Convention of witches, usually a group of 12, totaling 13. A similar Christian tradition considers the 13 cursed by mean the meeting of 12 witches and the devil.
Some people acquire the fear of Friday the 13th because of bad luck they might have had in the past. If you engage in a car crash, or lose your wallet, on a Friday the 13th, the day will be marked for you. But if you stop to think, you can see that bad things happen to us everyday, things like spilling the coffee. So, if you search for bad luck on a Friday the 13th, you will probally find.
For more, check: http://pessoas.hsw.uol.com.br/questao614.htm (in portuguese)

Well, I hope you're not afraid of Friday the 13th, but if you are, don't worry, it's a day like the others...

Don't miss the next posts!

See you!

No comments:

Like us on Facebook