October 15, 2010

Can, Could, Can't, Couldn't - Exercises and Answers

Hello!

In today's post, I'm gonna give you some exercises, so you can pratise what we learned in the previous post. You remember it, right?

Na aula de hoje, irei postar alguns exercícios para treinar o que aprendemos na aula passada. Você se lembra, né?

1. Complete these sentences with can or can't:
a) Mark _____ play badminton fairly well, but his brother _____ play at all.
b) Marathon runners _____ normally run fast, but they _____ run for a very long time.
c) Most people _____ ride a bike but they _____ play golf.
d) You _____ play soccer in the rain, but you ____ play tennis.
e) Everybody _____ do it.
f) I _____ read this book because I forgot my glasses.

2. Use can, can't, could or couldn't:
a) Garrincha _____ dribble better than anybody.
b) Volleyball players _____ normally jump very high.
c) Until 1968, men _____ run 100 meters in less than ten seconds. Then Jim Hines broke the world record to 9.9 seconds.
d) Women still _____ run 100 meters in less than ten seconds. The world record of 10.49 seconds belongs to Florence Griffith Joyner.
e) I _____ talk very fast, but my mother _____.
f) When I was child, I _____ swim at all, but now I _____.

Answers:
1.
a) can/ can't
b) can/ can't
c) can/ can't
d) can/ can't
e) can
f) can't

2.
a) could
b) can
c) could
d) can't
e) can or can't/ can or can't
f) couldn't/ can

Now, one question
Agora, uma pergunta:

   I can talk very fast. I can't talk very fast.

"In oral language, the /t/ sound in the contraction can't is rarely noticed. So how do we know if the sentence is negative or affirmative?"

"Na linguagem oral, o som /t/ na contração can't raramente é percebido. Então, como sabemos se a frase é negativa ou afirmativa?"
Globetrekker, pg. 31, Marcelo Baccarin Costa

Pesquisem sobre isso, por favor.
Search about it, please.

Por hoje é só...
That's all for today...

See you!

1 comment:

FRANCIELI O.LOPES said...

TO NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE YOU MUST STRESS THE "CAN´T" WHEN YOU SAY IT.

WHEN IT´S "CAN", THE STRESS IS ON THE VERB.

Like us on Facebook